Saturday, April 19, 2008

What a Week!

We started off the week with cute little Mason and fever on Sunday evening. I thought most likely it was a tooth coming in. Monday the fever (103) continued off and on all day. He wasn't really eating and was just super sad all day long. I called his doctor's office, but since Mason didn't have any other symptoms except the drooling and runny nose.., we just had to wait it out alternating Motrin and Tylenol to help his fever. Tuesday I thought things were getting a bit better in the morning even though he was up several times through out the night. His fever broke, but I notice these little sores around his mouth were starting to form. I thought they were from his excessive drool and Binky combo. By Tuesday night it was obvious he was having a hard time swallowing. He didn't sleep most of the night. We went into the doctor's first thing Wednesday morning only to find out our cute little guy had his first ear infection and possible strep. They didn't test him for strep because the antibiotic for the ear infection would get rid of the strep as well if that's what it was. I mentioned the spots around his mouth. His doctor gave a few options as to what it could be...., all of which we had to wait and see what it developed into and were very contagious. We sat home Wednesday. He was so sad and not feeling well all day. His throat hurt too much so he wasn't eating. He couldn't settle down enough to nap. He just wanted to be with his mom. It was a long day for us both. Thursday morning with a little Ammoxicillin under his belt, Mason woke up feeling like a champ, but the little spots about his mouth were now inside his mouth as well as on his feet and now blister like. He was such a trooper. Yet another call to the doctors office..., I'm sure they just love new moms. With the addition of the rash spreading to his feet, they now thought it was some other type of disease, but of course they couldn't be sure until in was more developed. Friday morning with the addition of hundreds of blister-like spots to his calves and his hands yet another doctor's visit was merited. The rash was finally 'developed' enough to be given a name..., and it was Hand-Foot-Mouth disease. Have you ever heard of such a thing? Apparently it's a fairly common childhood illness. It's viral and not much can be done except wait it out. Friday morning also brought a cut or rather a gash to Kava's lip. He had snagged part of it on the 4 ft chain link fence in our back yard while barking at the other dogs. 18 stitches later and a day at the vet, he was good as new.., well almost. Kava was a bit stoned all Friday evening and part of Saturday morning. He too was started on Ammoxicillin to fight off any possible infection. Mason's sores around and in his mouth are pretty gone. His hands a looking better and only a spot or two remain. Now if we can just get his feet to clear up, life would be back to normal. Mason's been a fairly healthy kid. He's almost 9 months and no serious sickness or accidents. We've been extremely lucky with this. Having him sick this week, I completely shut down. I took several days off from work and found it hard to do anything except be with him. It was all I could do not to cry with him each time he cried because he hurt. I hate the feeling of having a sick child and not being able to do anything to help him. I'm know we will have more weeks like this in the future for our little family. For now, I am just grateful we made it through this week.

Mason is SO great about taking his medcine. He really is a good kid!

6 comments:

Janelle said...

geez linda! A very hard week indeed. And to have your other baby visit the doc and anti-biotics too. It poured this week. But I'm glad things are looking better. I've never heard of that disease either. Glad to know about it. New week starts tomorrow,,, phew.. and yes, it is 1 in the morning....

Stacy and Mike said...

Wow I have never heard of that! I'm glad that he is feeling better, I can't imagine those eyes being sad. That is the hardest thing to watch your kid being absolutley miserable and not being able to do much.

Kathryn said...

I had that virus TWICE when I was little. It was no fun. I remember not even being able to ride my bike cuz the little sores on my feet hurt too much. And my siblings told me i got it cuz I didn't wash my hands. Siblings are mean. But I'm glad hes feeling better. I hope we weren't responsible for him catching that this last weekend. Maybe we are bad babysitters :(

Kara said...

:( Sad!! My nephew had that and it is a yucky thing! Sounds like a rough week! I am sorry. It is so hard to have a fussy baby several days in a row. YOu are such a good lil mommy :) And Mason is just so darn cute! I can't get over his eyes!!!

Kanabites said...

Gosh! What a week. Glad that it is over and Mason is getting better! What a good lookin' guy you have! Every time I see pictures of him I think that!

The Christensens said...

OK, could he get any cuter? No, Dan, I'm talking about Mason!

His eyelashes are to dye for. I think you should get him into modeling.