Friday, August 1, 2008

The Grand Canyon

We had the opportunity to meet up with my sister and her family for part of their month long cross country road trip. We met them in Page, Arizona and started off with a float trip down the Colorado River. We started at the base of the Glenn Canyon Dam. We drove through a service tunnel where only Dam workers are allowed, hence the hard hats.
Our float trip ended 2 miles down the Colorado River at the start of the Grand Canyon.
Aaron, Ethan, Michele and Rachel. Aaron tells me the 80's glasses are cool again. I'm not buying it. Linda and Meredith
Day Two: We made the drive to the Grand Canyon. The Wilkinson ClanI thought the Grand Canyon was going to be desert like..., but it wasn't from the North side. The closer we got, the greener it got. Driving in, I felt like I was back east with the huge pine trees and green fields. This was a pit stop we took after Mason had his melt down from driving in the car way too long.







We actually saw a Bison heading into the forest during our pit stop.The Grand Canyon
Mason's expression describes his thoughts on the Grand Canyon. He was truly a trooper but was very much down after 6 hours of hiking around with no naps. He crashed on out way to Kanab.

4 comments:

Michele said...

Hey Linder,

Nice pix, but one looks awfully similar to one of mine... see you in copyright court, sister!

...and I can't let you slide on one last detail... the river was the COLORADO not the GREEN.

-D

Janelle said...

Haven't been to the grand canyon since I was 13 or something.. Did you do that walk way thing that goes out into the canyon? Like a suspension something or other? Traveling with a baby is so hard,,, I know! Luckily both of ours like the car and we borrowed a portable dvd player for Kaitlyn to use. That's a big help for when they're older.

Angela said...

great pics! Sounds like so much fun.. glad you got to spend time with family!

I still can't believe how big all the nieces and nephews are getting. I remember when Hannah was a baby and Aaron was baptized. Crazy!

Kanabites said...

Yep we were at Nedras in that picture, their salsa is good. I have been meaning to tell you too, Can't believe that you were in Kanab and didn't even look me up, I live around the corner from Nedras... Next time there are no excuses girl! JK Vacation time is so packed that looking up lost friends is hard... looks like you had a great trip!