Monday, November 3, 2008

Changing of the Seasons

The 'Changing of the Seasons' is quite the event in our home. It's the day after a holiday when we change out all of the previous holidays decorations and put up decorations for the coming holiday. It's an exciting time as well because there's typically a new holiday decor that was purchased after the holiday last year the needs to find a home. It's also a deep cleaning day when everything is dusted and polished before the new holiday decor is out out.Saturday, November 1st, Halloween was taken down to make way for Thanksgiving, my favorite holiday. Thanksgiving is the perfect holiday. It's filled with food, family, games, puzzles, shopping and the list goes on. It was the time each year when I could count on my brother in-laws not working and when everyone was together as a complete family. There's no stress of gift giving or disappointment that Santa forgot something. New recipes are tried and old ones return for the day. I love it. Since we've been married, Thanksgiving has change a bit with not being able to go back east each year, but it's still just as great. Our first year married we started a 'Thankful Book' for our family. We write in it though out the year when we're particularly thankfully for something and then on Thanksgiving Day. It always makes me feel good to read through.The turkey below was my surprise this year in our Thanksgiving box of decor. I forgot I had purchased it last year on sale in January when everything is clearanced out. I love it!Enjoy the start of the Season of Thanks!

6 comments:

Kara said...

I think that you have just convinced me that Thanksgiving is MY favorite too! :) I have always loved your decorations! I have NO Thanksgiving decorations!!! Lame huh!
P.S. Your hair looks cute with the blonde streaks! :)

Julie and Todd said...

your decorations put everything in my house to shame. Fabulous. How you feeling, by the way?

Michele said...

I LOVE the little pilgrims and indians. It reminds me of mom's candles that she put out every year.

Janelle said...

OH Linda, you and I are so the same this way. November 1st came along and down came my jack-o-lanterns and out came my same pilgrims,,, I'm still so ticked when I see your indians (or native americans) because I didn't craft those. And p.s. I love our pumpkins... you can leave them out from Sept 1st til the day after Thanksgiving! Great huh. Love the turkey's you have, the husk stuff, and the fall foilage. Great idea to do a thankful book too.... I may copy that. What's your thankful book look like?

Leslie said...

Unbelieveable as always. I am not surprised at how darling you decorate your home, but now I want you to take me around and go shopping for bargains! Eh, I have to be a homemaker/mom/homeowner to even do this stuff. I'll wait. lol. Very very cute Linda.

Kathryn said...

Oh I love that idea of a thankful book! Ben would make fun of me if I wanted to do that, but maybe we'll try it :)