Thursday, November 6, 2008

Giving Thanks

I read a magazine article years ago that talked about 'the lost art of giving thanks'. The basic gist of the article was that simple thank cards for birthdays, emails of appreciation to supportive girlfriends, notes to neighbors expressing your gratitude for them gathering your mail, etc is being lost in America. I'd some what agree. I grew up with my mom sitting me down after my birthday parties with pen and paper in hand to write my simple thanks for the gifts my friends and family gave me. Thank you cards are one thing and are appropriate. I feel most folks have that one down..., but there's so much more in life that we fail to recognize. Each day, there are things that we pass by with out giving much thought to. My family and girlfriends for instant. There are countless times my cute husband has turned my day around with a listening ear of a thoughtful word. My girlfriends have done the same. At times, with out even knowing.
Lately, I've been getting overwhelmed about our unstable economy, raising gas and food prices and questioning the stability of our jobs. I get so wrapped up in the things we do not have that I forget about the things we do have. A warm house, reliable cars, a supportive husband, food in our fridge, an amazing son and the list goes on. It's not smart to be naive about the world going on around us, but I don't need to focus on it either.
Below is our family Thankfully Book. The pictures are for you Janelle! This book is one of the things that helps to remind me on a rough day that there is so much in which to be thankful. I read through it's pages of expressing gratitude, appreciation and thanks.., and I in turn am reminded of the time I wrote in the book or am touched by my husband's thoughts that I didn't' know he had wrote.

3 comments:

Stacy and Mike said...

This is a fabulous idea. I love it.
Also love the costumes and I know if I lived closer you would be my #1 resource for decorating my home. If you need to get away from the Snow come down to Sunny St. George!

Janelle said...

Thanks for posting pics especially for me!!!! I didn't know I could be so persuasive.. ha ha.

This is a fantastic idea, and as my kids get older I will start this, so that they can write things in it as well, and chuckle about it 20 years later. GREAT IDEA! Thanks for sharing. p.s. Love the look of this book.

Kanabites said...

THanks. Always a good reminder, I have been like that a lot lately too and am glad to be reminded that I should be thankful for what I do have and need to get going on a thankful book. Thanks for inspiring me again!