Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A few things I've learned from our garden

Our garden has been so much fun this year. Though I grew upo with my mom having a huge garden.., this is only the second year for our family to have one, so I'm still learning from my mistakes. This year I've learned that I do not need 5 zucchini plants and 5 yellow squash plants. 1 or 2 plants of each is enough to feed the entire neighborhood. Let's just say..., we've had zucchini and yellow squash in abundance all summer long. I've also learned that when the back of a seed packet says to space each plant 2 feet apart.., they really mean it. I now have a 'tomato hedge' instead of 12 individual tomato plants! I've also learned that things ripen in warp speed during the night. I checked on tomatoes last night and there was one or two ripe ones. Today, I went out to the garden to get a tomato or two for salsa and came in with this??? Don't they look pretty?Branching out from my norm of canned tomatoes.., I made this..., spaghetti sauce. It easy and it turned out pretty tasty. I think I'll try salsa with the next batch or tomatoes.This summer.., I've also learned that I have to look under all the leaves to check for veggies. I had close to a zillion little cukes hiding and had no idea. So I made some dill pickles. The funny thing is..., I HATE dill pickles.., and the even funnier thing is.., so does my husband! I wish I would have realized that before I came up with the great idea to make them. They could become Christmas gifts for the neighbors!I've also learned that herbs works better for me if I keep them in pots so they don't spread all over the place..., i.e. mint! Here is Herb Row as we call it in our home. It's hard to differentiate the herbs..., but I LOVE them all. I tried a few new ones this summer.., dill, lemon thyme, lemon balm, cinnamon basil, and Thai basil are the new ones. I'm trying to figure out how I can bring them all inside when the frost comes. Perhaps the addition will be done and I will have lots of extra space. A girl can dream, can't she???I've learned that if you plant corn for the sole purpose of using the corns stalks in the fall because you're too cheap to but them any more.., that actually ears of corn will grow on them. I had no idea I would actually get real corn! In fact.., I have dozens of ears! Here's my questions..., how do I know when it's ready to be picked????
I've learned that pumpkins as well as my squash and tomatoes require more space then I allowed. Pumpkins and gourds spread like crazy! Can you see this beauty hiding beneath the leaves? I have about 5 pumpkins now and tons of gourds!
Lastly.., I've learned things pop up when you least expect them to. here's a honeydew melon. I really wasn't expecting this to actually grow. Not only has it grown..., but i have a couple growing!
Oh how I love my garden. Mason and I planted everything in it this past spring. He was surprisingly a great help and enjoyed throwing the seeds in each hole. I'm sad it's already the end of August and fall will be coming soon. That means that the garden will be ending soon. I am, however, excited for the crisp fall air.., pumpkins.., sweaters..., oh.., I do love the fall too!

9 comments:

Janelle said...

That was a fun post Linda! I will be working on my first garden next spring, so i'll be referring to this post of things you learned. So fun!

Meg said...

I wish we lived closer to you guys I would come over and steal some tomatoes and zuccini! I love making salsa...there is nothing like home grown tomatoes!

Michele said...

Mmmm...that sauce looks yummy! The honeydew is so cool. I never thought to grow something like that, but I sure do love to eat them. As for the corn, I think they are ready when the tassles(silk) turn brown. I let mine go too long last year and they were rotten. Any local farmers you can ask?

Kathryn said...

everything looks fabulous! I'm so impressed. Wish I could take some of those pickles ofF your hands, i LOVE dill pickles. Maybe in November...we have plane tickets! :)

Kanabites said...

Your garden looks great! I can't believe all the things you planted. I still have nothing on my Artichoke plant... so I have no idea how that works either. As far as squash bugs!!!! HATE THEM!!!! The guy at the nursery said to use Sevin on your plants and it will get ride of them... well I have used that like three times now and finally just gave up. Well first we tried to squish them all... then the Sevin. Now we are just going to get some good bug killer stuff to till in in the fall and in the spring and not plant squash plants for one year and see what happens. Oh and corn, when the silky stuff starts to turn brownish that's when it is good.. Enjoy Corn on the cob... you can freeze it too right on the cob... then just wrap it in paper towels and a dish towel and microwave it and it's crisp and not soggy from the freezer... Have fun!

Kanabites said...

Sorry forgot to ask... will you share your spaghetti sauce recipe? I have heard of people doing tomato soup too...

Rob Dog said...

I LOVE dill pickles!! Hit a sister up, even if I am not your neighbor!! :) Maybe me you and kara should have lunch at your house and eat off the fat of YOUR land!!! he he he!! I wish I had pumpkins in my backyard! Lucky!! :)

Lori said...

hahahaha! i love it. i know what you mean about the zuchini and squash plants...i did the same thing one year. i didn't do a garden this year and regretted it. your stuff looks great.

Stacy and Mike said...

I learned some of those same things but I must say it looks like you had more success than I did. Love that pumpkin!