Monday, October 6, 2008

Life Changes and That's OK

Back in my single years, I felt like I could do it all with out even breaking a sweat. I worked full time, went to school full time, had six projects going, etc, and felt like I could do more. I would re-do furniture, make holiday crafts for the whole family, cook for my single's gang every Sunday, throw parties for all occasions, bake cookies for the neighbors, babysit my friends kids fulfil my church callings to the fullest and the list goes on. Oh.., and my house was also spotless. I was wonder women. There wasn't anything I wasn't willing to tackle because I seriously felt like I could do it all. I rocked and I felt like that.
When I got married I began to feel the 'I can do it all' mentality start to disappear. It was still there.., but I was slowing loosing it. Part of it was simply because I didn't have a desire to do some of my previous activities.., but some of it was also because taking on the role of wife took it's toll. I still tried to do most things but then would get frustrated for allowing dishes to be left in the sink or a bed to be left unmade. This was some thing I did to myself. My cute husband constantly reassured me that a 'good wife' doesn't do it all and that I was way too hard on myself.
Once Mason came in to my life.., everything and anything I felt like I did well or some what held together was out the window. Finding the balance in motherhood did not come easy for me and in fact it's something I'm still working on. I was not the mother I had pictured in my head. The one with the clean house and baked pies and who smiled all the time.
I felt.., and still feel for the most part.., that there's very little I hold together or am able to keep up on. I make valiant efforts.., but most days there's half my 'to do' list still unchecked. For me.., I've had to redefine my idea of motherhood and wife hood for that matter and that's been an on going crusade for me. I sweep our floors 3 times a week and wash them once a week and they are always filthy! I've realized though, that I'd rather sit on my filthy floors and play with my son then keep them spotless. I'd also rather lay on the couch with my husband after a long work day and talk then keep my floors spotless. I can't do more than I am already doing in that area.., if the floors are filthy..., it's not because I haven't tried to keep them clean and I'm not willing to give up more of my family time to assure they are always spotless. It's been hard for me to let go of my old reality. The reality where everything is always clean and everything is always in it's place..., but it's slowly happening..,and thankfully so for my sanity's sake.
My new reality is simply this, most things are clean, but if they're not.., we'll eventually get to it..., and everything does have a place, but they don't always end up in that place and that's okay. Though at times a struggle, I'm learning to embrace this new reality. Occasionally, I do slip back into the old reality of 'I can do it all' mentality. I put such high expectations on myself and the fact of the matter is.., no ones expects half as much as i do. Why are we always the hardest on ourselves? What I've realized is, there's no mom that can do it all and those who look like they are, are just faking it very well. Life is about family. If I blow off a work thing to spend time with my husband or take a walk with Mason while I'm suppose to be vacuuming, it's okay.
I've also learned that you need to embrace the days where you do 'do it all' and celebrate those. Saturday for me was hands down, an I-rock-as-a-mom-and-wife kind of day. Dan was out of town hunting with the boys. Mason and I started off early with making and canning salsa, applesauce (it's so YUMMY!) and a few more jars of tomatoes. We did this all by ourselves. During Mason's nap, I cleaned the house from top to bottom, the dishes were done, the laundry was not only done, but also folded and actually put away, fresh veggies were picked from the garden, the rest of the Halloween decorations were put out.., and all this was done before 3pm when we left for Mason's hair cutting appointment. I went shopping with my niece for our little baby girl and then back to the house to make dinner for the boy, bathe him and place him down for the night. I sat in our front room looking around, feeling tired, and thinking, I ROCK! This is NOT a thought that crossing my mind most days like it did when I was single. It was a good feeling.
I know days like these are few and far between and that's okay..., because I would trade my old reality and the 'I could do it all' days..., any time for my dirty floor, sexy husband and amazing son. It is nice to know that I still have it...., at least for a day anyway.

7 comments:

Michele said...

You ROCK! You also made time for US, by posting this blog today. My 'to-do' list gets only about one thing checked off each day...and that I consider a great accomplishment. It's all in how you look at it. Just wait until baby girl comes along...Double the fun!

Janelle said...

I was just going to say,,,, oh just you wait til la chica comes. I too had all these expectations as to what I was going to be as the most perfect mom.... yeah right... it's a dang hard job! Way harder and monotonous than I thought,, but like you said, those moments where you can just look at your family and think - this is what i'm doing right now- those are what matter the most.... Good post and thanks for sharing your thoughts.... by the way, your house was always sooooooo organized and perfect... and I'm sure it is too now, (you are too hard on yourself...:))

Leslie said...

I still think you are wonder woman and can do it all! You're an amazing working mom that makes time to garden and can for goodness sake!!! You still have it, regardless of what you say!!!!

Kanabites said...

I totally agree with you and feel the same way about when a great day happens and I actually get my list of things done. I usually take Bryant around the house showing him all the clean rooms and that the laundry is done and PUT away, like I'm a little kid. I get so proud of myself when I do it! Feels good! But, I kind of think that it only happens every once in a while so that I can have that good feeling and be grateful for ROCKIN' my world! Thanks for sharing!

Melissa@thebblog said...

wow, I don't have it all together right now, not anywhere close (sorry about the zucchini), and now I'm terified for when this first baby comes! I don't think I can get worse . . .! We may have to move home with our parents.

Glad you had a productive day, I felt good about my Saturday but I accomplished about half of what you did. You are Wonder Woman

Stacy and Mike said...

I totally relate to this post. I've had to be okay with less than perfect as well.

Congratulations on little girl baby! I'm soooooo excited for you!

I agree with Janelle... with every kid.. the house gets less perfect. Instead of once a week mopping the floors it might be every three weeks. :) It's okay! Loved this post!

Melodie said...

I can totally relate. I have been struggling so much lately feeling like I am not really good at anything. I know people with even more kids than I have who are so talented and do way more than I do, and it gets me down. I guess my problem is that I am hard on myself AND I compare myself to others -- bad combination! But I do have four happy, healthy children and a great husband who loves me. I can't ask for more!

I am always amazed at all you do -- you are so crafty, you can (that is quite an undertaking), garden, and you work on top of it all! Wonder Woman! (Did you get your invisible airplane yet?)

One more thing: Congratulations on your baby girl! I am so happy for you!