Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Sick, Sick, Sick

I am done, done, done with a sick house! It's horrible! We're been dealing with sinus infections, colds and croup for weeks now. Thankfully, I feel like we are all finally on the mend. Let me fill you in on the highlights.

Mason had his first trip to the ER. He ran a fever for a day or so that seem to run into a cold. I really didn't worry too much because we'd been through colds and they pass. He woke up late last Tuesday night gasping for air and wheezing. A quick call to my personal nurse, Kim and we were off to the after hours Kids ER of sorts. I called ahead and so they were ready and waiting for us. They got us right in. The first words out of the doctor's mouth was 'he's got it'. Not sure what she meant by that initially.., but she later clarified with 'he's got croup' and could tell right off from his breathing. They gave Mason some steroids and us some instructions and we were off..., all in under 20 minutes.
My very non-cuddly son by nature laid in my arms for days. Doctors say the best thing for kids with croup is steam from a shower and the cold, cold air. So.., every night.., and every morning we bundled the boy up and headed out side. He actually would breath so much better outside. We also spent afternoons sitting on the bathroom floor while the shower ran. The poor kid. With no signs of improvement, we were back into the Doctor's on Friday to get some more medicine. By Sunday, Mason was back tot full speed.., well close anyway.
Being in the house for days on end, Mason was able to explore new places.., namely closets, dressers and doors.
This is the bottom of our entertainment center.., aka, Mason's new hide-out.
Mason pulled out his entire closet a few times this past week. Notice the tears in this picture. He got himself stuck in one of the baskets he emptied. I tried to explain that it was a natural consequence of his action of trying to sit in the basket, but he didn't quite understand that one. perhaps a few more years.

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

Oh poor kid. Good for you for being a good mom. I like the natural consequence stuff. :)

Kara said...

Sad!! I hate those nights! What a relief that you have Kim! I think that for now on YOU will be my own personal nurse! :) What kids ER did you go to? I have never called in before but that sounds like a good idea!

Melissa@thebblog said...

So glad he's feeling better, I hope you are too.

Janelle said...

Geez, you do need a break. I'm glad he's on the mend. Never had croup before..